Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Fall Owls - SOG Style

I knew I needed these stamps as soon as they previewed on Some Odd Girl! Anyone who knows me know that I have a not-so-minor obsession with owls! They are all over my house in various forms and I've been collecting them for almost 15 years now. It's so nice (and dangerous) that they are so popular now because I have so many more options to choose from.

Here, you'll have my owl interpretations two ways. The first, I'm entering into the September Sketch challenge. The goal was to use this template for my card.

The stamps I used were from the Some Odd Girl Owl-Days. They seem to be technically meant for Christmas or Birthdays by the looks of them, but I thought they had fall written all over their cute little faces.



The first route I went was to go a little more fun and Halloweeny with the owl. I loved that the sketch gave me a kind of moon for the owl to hover in. I gave him a little extra shadow with the W3 & W4 Copics directly on the background paper, so that no matter what direction you view him from, there is a distinct shadow behind him. I also colored some wooden stars with my Tim Holtz Distress Markers and stuck those all over the place.


For the second take, I didn't use the Sketch and I went more Thanksgiving than Halloween. I just love the fall, don't you? I wanted this owl to have a bit more realistic coloring, so I looked at some photos online and tried to recreate some of the feather patterns on the Barred Owl. The acorn stamp is from the Nutsy Kaylee stamp and colored with Distress Markers.

The papers from both cards are from the Recollections Night and Fall line that I've been wanting to use since I bought them on clearance last winter. *Giggles* This was a pretty good excuse, I think!

4 comments:

  1. Such wonderful cards, Alexis! I love how you showed the stamps' versatility (& your styles' ;)). The halloween card is a fab take on the sketch! And I adore the realistic -looking owl too!! Awesome score on the papers!! Tha is for joining us at SOG this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are over-the-moon adorable!! I love your coloring technique on the second owl, so life-like!! Thanks for joining the SOG challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am crazy about that Halloween card! How cool is the owl on the second card?!? Love how you colored him. Glad you joined us for SOG challenge. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are both so totally awesome! I never would have thought of using the sketch like a moon but that's some serious creative genius :) Thanks so much for playing with us at Some Odd Girl!

    ReplyDelete